description

Smarter Cookie: a blog for cooking, baking and everything in between...

Search This Blog

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Snickerdoodles

Ok, one last cookie for the co-workers. This is it because I will be putting together the bags tomorrow. I decided to go with the tried and true Snickerdoodle.


Most of the recipes for Snickerdoodles that I have ever made have cream of tartar as one of the leavening agents, having just moved into my new apartment I have not yet fully stocked my cabinets. I decided to do a little searching to see if a recipe existed without cream of tartar. I feel upon one from Food Network that seemed great. It used corn syrup, which I do have so it was perfect.

Warning with this recipe, it says that it makes 35 to 40, however I got over 50 cookies so I would next time half the recipe unless you need to feed a lot of people.


Snickerdoodles

Topping:

3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Dough:

3 1/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

In a small bowl, stir together the sugar and cinnamon and set aside.

Stir together the dry ingredients and set aside.

In a bowl with a paddle attachment, cream the butter. Add the sugar and continue to mix, then add the eggs one at a time, corn syrup, and vanilla, and mix thoroughly. Add the dry ingredients and mix until blended. Chill dough 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Roll balls of dough about the size of a walnut then roll them in the cinnamon sugar to coat. Place on a sheet pan 2 1/2 inches apart. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until puffed up and the surface is slightly cracked. Let cool on the sheet pan a few minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.


I liked these better than regular snickerdoodles with cream of tartar, it was the addition of the corn syrup, I think. Everyone will love them!

No comments: