description

Smarter Cookie: a blog for cooking, baking and everything in between...

Search This Blog

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Chocolate Sugar Cookies

I make cookie bags for my co-workers for the holidays, last year they loved them and this year I tried to find new recipes to impress them. I found this one, it was so simple to make and is a good basic cookie, nothing mind shattering, but good and simple and sometimes that is just perfect.


Chocolate Sugar Cookies

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
10 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
1 egg

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.


In an electric mixer mix the flour cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar. While on a low speed add the butter and the egg, continue mixing until dough comes together in a ball.

Scoop (I used a large ice cream scoop) and place on the baking sheets about 2 inches a part, these will spread. With slightly moist hands flatten the tops of the dough. Bake for about 9-14 minutes (depending on size of cookies) your cookies should just start to be firming when you want to take them out.

Take off your baking sheet and place on a cooling rack.


This recipe is a great chocolate base cookie, would be fabulous as a ice cream sandwich cookie, or dusted with powdered sugar to make them sparkle. I can't wait to include these in the cookie trees this year.

1 comment:

brandin + kari said...

these look great! I have never heard of such a thing but I want to try it:)