description

Smarter Cookie: a blog for cooking, baking and everything in between...

Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

WOW Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

"Love it." Was the official quote from my father, now I'm not sure I've ever ever heard this from him. There is usually some comment attached, "Really good, but..." I almost can't believe how good these cookies are. They are the best oatmeal raisin cookies I've ever made. You need to make these. You will wow everyone. It's an exciting day when you print out a new recipe and it becomes the new standard because it is just so damn good. This cookie is amazing.


Oatmeal Raisin Cookies


3 Large Eggs
1 generous tsp vanilla extract
1 cup raisins
1 cup butter
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 generous tsp cinnamon
2 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup toasted walnuts

In a bowl combine the eggs, vanilla and raisins. Let sit for about an hour. (I only let mine sit for about 40 minutes.) You can just do this as the first step and then start on with everything else and by the time you need the raisins it will be about 30 minutes.

Beat the butter (room temperature) and the sugars until homogeneous. Mix the flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon together, well. Slowly add this mixture to the butter and sugar. The dough will be dry at this point. Add in the egg, raisins and vanilla and mix, then add in the oats and the toasted walnuts.

Scoop onto cookie sheets and bake for about 10 to 13 minutes at 350 degrees. They cookies will turn very golden brown. Let them cool a minute on the tray and then move to a cooling rack. I made 15 big cookies and 15 medium cookies. It may be around 40 medium cookies total.

I found the original recipe here, I did make a few changes in that I never use shortening, which is what the original calls for. You can substitute butter for it at the same amount.


Please, please make these, they are just so good.

No comments: