description

Smarter Cookie: a blog for cooking, baking and everything in between...

Search This Blog

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Double Butterscotch Cookies

Butterscotch brings me back, way back to the steamy days of summer. When my sister and I would pack up our trunks, tie up our sneakers and run screaming out of the house to be dropped off at camp for the next eight weeks. There were a few days (meals) that we all longed for, the congo bars when we had cook outs, the bread sticks on pasta night, grilled cheese and french fries for Monday lunches and the Butterscotch Bars that did not come frequent enough. Now this is a recipe that my sister would love. Her love of butterscotch, and mine, came from these half raw butterscotch brownies, which when they did show up, they made our night fabulous. I've been trying for the past two years, to mimic those flavors and I think this cookie came very close. I left them slightly under baked as the camp cooks did as well, so that the middle of the cookies are gooey. I always change the recipes I find online slightly, but the original recipe I found here.


Double Butterscotch Cookies

1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 Tbsp vanilla
3 cups all propose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup toffee bits (Heath Bar bits)
3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

In a mixing bowl beat the butter and the sugar until they come together. Add in one egg at a time and mix well after each addition. Add in the vanilla and mix until combine.

In a medium bowl mix the flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar. Gradually add the flour mixture to the mixing bowl with the butter, sugar and eggs. Do not over beat, mix just until combined then stir in the toffee bits and the pecans.

Scoop and drop these onto your baking sheets. Bake for 8 minute until the edges and top are light brown. Let sit on the baking sheets for 2 minutes before removing. If you wait too long the bits of toffee that melted during the baking will start to harden to the sheet making it more difficult to take up.

I made 15 big cookies and 10 medium size cookies.


These are going as part of holiday and Thanksgiving cookie packages that I will put together. As you've noticed I've made a lot of cookies recently. This is because I am anticipating that I will be moving December 1st and therefore will have little time in the next few weeks to bake. Cookies freeze so well. Up to 3 or 4 months they will keep in a plastic container frozen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE these cookies!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Katrina said...

YUM! I printed the recipe when BB made them, now seeing yours and hers and yours both looks so good, I'm going to have to give them a try! Thanks for visiting my blog.