description

Smarter Cookie: a blog for cooking, baking and everything in between...

Search This Blog

Monday, November 17, 2008

Green Risotto

I used to cook for myself, almost every night, and it was actually how I lost about 15 lbs after college. I ate a lot of risotto, some because I heard it was healthier than eating pasta, but mostly I just came from 4 years of eating pasta almost every night and was tired of it. I decided to revisit that tonight and make myself some yummy risotto, full of veggies.


I popped over to the grocery store to pick up somethings for another recipe you will soon see, and decided to kick up my risotto full of green veggies (it was what I was attracted to in the store.) I'm trying to make smarter choices about food and eating what I want rather than eating dinner and then snacking because dinner was just dinner and not something that I enjoyed.


Green Risotto

1 small onion
1/3 cup risotto rice
1/4 cup white wine
2 cups chicken broth
4 asparagus trees
1 small bunch broccoli
2 cups chopped spinach
4 small mushrooms chopped
1/4 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

To prepare the risotto bring the broth to a simmer (to add in later) in a small sauce pan. In a medium sauce pan spay some Pam and add in the diced onion, let them start to cook down about 3 minutes until tender. Add the rice to toast it, about a minute or two. Add in the wine to de-glaze the pan. Cook for 30 seconds or so until absorbed by the rice. Slowly add in the broth 1/2 a cup at a time until all absorbed should be about 25 minutes. Stir frequently.

Once all the broth is absorbed add in the asparagus pieces, broccoli, mushrooms and then the spinach. Stir until the spinach has wilted add the parmesan if you are using it and stir until combined.


Plate and serve. This will make 2 servings. Use it either as a side dish or a main course as I did. Add in whatever veggies you have in your refrigerator or you are craving. This is a great meal that will fill you up and is pretty healthy. Not using oil, cream or a lot of cheese in the risotto keeps the calories and the fat down, adding the veggies keeps you interested.

No comments: