description

Smarter Cookie: a blog for cooking, baking and everything in between...

Search This Blog

Monday, November 24, 2008

Cinnamon Bun Cookies

I was really excited about this recipe, thought it would take the place of boring old snicker doodles in my holiday baskets. This first attempt did not work out how I imagined. I will be making these again and I will note the changes that I'm planning to make for next time. Everyone loved the flavor of the cookie, and I loved the idea of it, that's why I'm planning to give this one a second shot.


I found other cinnamon bun type cookies but a lot of them had an icing on them. Since I freeze my cookies usually to use later icing does not stay very well frozen. You can always freeze the base cookie and ice them when you want to serve them. I found this recipe from Bake or Break, it seemed great. You do need to make these a day a head and refrigerate the dough, so before you read this and get your hopes up for bringing them into work tomorrow you'll need that extra day.


Cinnamon Bun Cookies

Dough

1 1/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Filling
4 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp chopped pecans
2 tsp cinnamon

Beat the sugar and butter until creamy with an electric mixer. Add the egg and vanilla. In a separate bowl combine the flour baking soda and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Form into a ball, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.


The recipe originally says to roll the dough out on a floured surface into an 18 by 10 rectangle. Next time I do this I'm going to split the dough in half and roll each out until they are about 1/8 inch thick (I'm not sure of the dimensions, you want to make sure its not too thin, but you want it to be a rectangle.) This was because when I made these they spread really thin and a lot bigger than I wanted. So next time if I make them smaller to begin with and roll them a lot tighter they may not spread so much.

Mix the filling ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the dough and press into the dough. Roll beginning with the long side. Roll tightly. Place the seam side down on plastic wrap, cover and refrigerate over night. In the morning cut into 1/2 inch slices and cook in a 350 degree oven for 9 minutes. Let them sit a minute on the hot pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool.


So my warnings are in there, they might come out big, thin and delicate, but they will be yummy and people will enjoy them. And with my changes I think that these could be a perfect cookie.

Good luck. :)

No comments: