description

Smarter Cookie: a blog for cooking, baking and everything in between...

Search This Blog

Friday, April 25, 2008

Veggies on the Grill!

Only three more days of Passover, wo wo! It will officially end Sunday at sun down, we'll see if I can hold out that long. But as of today I'm still going strong.

It is still beautiful here in Boston, getting into the mid 70s almost every day this week, alas the meteorologists say it will come to an end tomorrow, and thrust us back into the mid 50s and rainy Spring we all know. So we must grill these last few nice days to take advantage of the sun and the warmth. And grilling doesn't involve any of those forbidden foods. Chicken for me and a steak for Ben. The real prize of this meal though were the veggies we did along with the meat on the grill.


On a sad side note, Ben and I both love grilled corn, and he had some prepped and ready in the fridge, but Passover, if only it wasn't passover. So tempting, but we didn't. We decided to grill up some asparagus and mushrooms. This was my first attempt at doing mushrooms on the grill, they turned out fabulous, and really added to this meal.

Grilled Mushrooms

10 Mushrooms whole
1 tbsp extra light olive oil
salt
pepper

Asparagus

12 Asparagus
1 Lemon
salt
pepper


Clean the mushrooms with a damp towel. I forget why but you're not supposed to run them under water to wash them, but just don't do it :). Coat the mushrooms in the olive oil and salt and pepper and then place on the grill, turn after 4-5 minutes, this will depend on the type and therefor size of your mushrooms. Ben and I always taste our food before taking it off, this is just a good way to know if its done the way you like it. Allow to cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes, and plate.


Trim and wash Asparagus, squeeze the lemon juice over the asparagus and coat in salt and pepper. Place on grill turn after a couple minutes so that you have grill marks on all sides of the asparagus. (This is a big harder than you think it is and a little frustrating, just do the best you can to rotate them.) Let cook another couple minutes on the grill and plate.


I would recommend that you put your meat on the grill first to get it started so that everything is done at the same time. You don't want your veggies to get cold waiting for the meat to be done.

4 comments:

Elle said...

OMG, I almost started drooling when I saw your photos. How embarrassing, hehe. i can't wait for grilling season to be in full swing!

Anonymous said...

Hallie, I love your blog, it's now on my bookmark bar! You guys are adorable! The food ideas inspire me.

Nilmandra said...

Mushrooms are very absorbent so washing them will make them soggy when you cook them later. (That's why they are lovely in a stew, absorbing all the liquid and flavours!) That's why instructions are always to brush or wipe them instead of washing them. Although I must admit sometimes I give them a quick rinse when I'm in a rush, it's much quicker... heh :)

Hallie Fae said...

Thanks! I knew it was something like that, admit too I will rinse them quickly when I'm lazy too. :)