description

Smarter Cookie: a blog for cooking, baking and everything in between...

Search This Blog

Thursday, April 10, 2008

The BEST Brownies. Period.

So here it goes, after tons of coaxing from my sister who is a avid lover of these brownies. Here is my secret. The best brownies ever. They are fairly easy to make and even easier to eat. They are fudgy, yummy, and just lovely brownies. Make these and you will be loved by anyone and everyone that eats them. I do have to appologize I do not now have a picture of these at final product stage, they vanished before a picture could be taken.


I think that these brownies were the first thing that I ever made on my own in my mom's kitchen growing up. Just one Saturday or Sunday afternoon that changed the lives of my family, friends, and all those around me after. These are the best brownies ever, tested, tried and true.

Fudgy Fudgy BEST Brownies
6 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 cup salted butter
4 extra large Eggs
2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 tbsp Vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose Flour

In a small sauce pan melt the butter and chocolate together over low heat. (This can also be done in the microwave, but only if I'm feeling really lazy one day. For some reason I think the butter and chocolate melt better together on the stove.) You may need to constantly stir this to make sure that the chocolate is not burning and that everything is melting. Take off the heat immediately when everything is melted. Meanwhile beat eggs on medium until light yellow in color. This is the only leavening in the brownies, so you do want them light, but if you over beat the eggs the brownies will not come out successful. The top will rise and then sink like a bad soufflé out of the oven, so really only beat for 5 minutes. Add sugar and mix until combined. Add butter and chocolate mixture once it has cooled a bit also add in the vanilla at this time. Then add it the flour and just mix until combined.


Then add in 6-8 oz chocolate chips, walnuts or both! Save some to sprinkle on top.


Place in a 8 by 8 greased pan in an 325 degree oven for 60 minutes. You should watch becasue each oven is different, but I have rarely taken these out before 65-70 minutes. You will need a toothpick inserted to have small crumbs on it when its ready to come out. Do not over bake or under bake, they should not be liquid.


I have tried to use foil in the pan, but becasue of the nature of the fudginess of these they will break apart if you try and lift them all out at once with the foil. Just make sure that you really grease the bottom and corners of the pan well.

All the credit of these BEST brownies goes to Mrs. Fields. You can see her original recipe here. I usually make these plain, but my dad loves them with nuts. I also don't think that the chocolate chips add anything to these, only a little longer baking time. Plain may be done around 55 minutes. So watch.


Place in your refrigerator for an hour before cutting, you need that to help solidify the brownies. Cut and serve, you can also freeze these for up to 3 months, but trust me they wont last that long. Also if you need more than like 24 brownies, just double the recipe and use a 9x13 pan.

As you can see from the pictures this was the time I tried to make it with the foil, becasue I have had trouble with the brownies sticking to the bottom, but I don not recommend doing it. They came out fine to pass out to my family and roommates, but not necessarily to go on display it a museum or something. So don't use foil.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those look great, Hallie. I'll have to give them a try. I like the proportion of chocolate and butter to everything else.

I need to get my hands on some really good unsweetened chocolate.

RecipeGirl said...

Nice blog :)

I have tried a few brownie recipes this year that I've been really happy with. I've used foil on some (you must spray it) and parchment paper on others. It depends on the brownie recipe on whether or not it works. I think it works best with the fudgy brownie recipes.

I'll have to add Mrs. Field's brownies to my brownie making to-try pile!

Anonymous said...

I've eaten alot of brownies in my day, and even though I'm biased in favor of this baker, these are without doubt the BEST brownies in the world. With nuts, of course.