description

Smarter Cookie: a blog for cooking, baking and everything in between...

Search This Blog

Monday, February 16, 2009

Spaghetti & Turkey Meatballs

Ben and I decided that we wanted to make a romantic dinner for Valentine's Day. Ben looked at me with those blue pleading eyes and smiled and asked, "can we have pasta?" "Yes, Ben. We can have pasta," I replied.


Ben had bought me Ellie Krieger's cook book almost a year ago and we still had not tried to make anything from the book yet. I picked it up and instantly saw the cover was spaghetti and meatballs. What a perfect idea! Since I don't eat any four-legged animals the turkey meatballs in Ellie's cook book were perfect.


They were super easy and so good. Oh yeah and healthy! I would definitely make these and eat these again. (I'm not a huge fan of turkey, but I was thrilled with these meatballs.) One whole package of pasta, bottle of sauce and these meatballs will serve 4 people.

Turkey Meatballs

1.25 lbs lean ground turkey
1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
1/4 cup reduced fat grated parmesan cheese
2 tsp fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 large egg
salt & pepper to taste

In a large bowl mix all the ingredients for the turkey meatballs with your hands until everything looks mixed through. Roll into 2 1/2 inch balls (Ben and I got 13 big meatballs.) Place on a greased baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes until browned.


While in the oven start heating your sauce in a large sauce pan. (Ellie Krieger has a recipe for sauce in her cook book with the meatballs, but Ben and I were feeling lazy and did not want to buy all those ingredients to make the sauce so we just picked up a bottle of sauce. Any kind you like will work.) Also put the water on to boil for your spaghetti.


Once the meatballs are done place them into the pot with the sauce mix them in, cover and let cook for 10-15 more minutes. Cook your pasta according to the directions. Drain the pasta and plate. Top with a few meatballs, sauce and extra parmesan cheese.


I loved this meal. Yes Ben and I did do a Lady and the Tramp kiss. It was a great way to celebrate our Valentine's Day. We will be making this again.

3 comments:

Jannett said...

This looks like a try as well...:)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I'm so excited about this post! I'm not naturally good at cooking meat and I only eat chicken and turkey anyway. And since a lot of recipes use pork or beef to make things, I'm always at a bit of a loss. But these look awesome! Were they pretty easy to make? They look like they were. I definitely want to take a stab at making these.

Hallie Fae said...

Aubree,
They were so easy to make, especially if you buy sauce. The prep is under 15 minutes. They were so good! Good luck!