description

Smarter Cookie: a blog for cooking, baking and everything in between...

Search This Blog

Friday, February 8, 2008

Ben's Pumpkin Oreo Cheesecake Bars

Every year way before his birthday I tell Ben I want to make his something special. Anything he wants as his birthday cake. Last year I made and transported whoopie pies 90 miles as his treat. This year I think in December I looked over at him and said, "you're going to have to start thinking about what you want for your birthday desert." Ben looked at me like I was crazy, its months away he said. In my mind theres nothing better than giving, and getting special things on your birthday, so I try and plan and make his birthday as special as he wants it.

This year he said well I really like that pumpkin cheesecake that you made me a while ago. Ok I can do that. The second time I asked him what he wanted instead of cake he answered again pumpkin cheesecake, but wait he said, can you make it with an oreo crust instead of gingersnaps? Hmmm...sure I can do that, but don't blame me if it tastes weird.

I thought that pumpkin oreo cheesecake would be an original recipe, something that I could claim as our own, until I found this recipe. However my recipe is so different that I'm going to say, while not an original idea, mine is a different take on this interesting combination of flavors.

Ben's Pumpkin Oreo Cheesecake Bars

3 Cups crushed Oreos
6 Tbsp melted butter
1/2 Cup canned pumpkin
1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
3 8-oz packages cream cheese, softened
1 Cup sugar
1 1/2 tsps vanilla extract
3 eggs

Lightly grease a 13 by 9 by 2 inch pan and set aside. In a medium size bowl combine crushed oreos and melted butter. Press mixture evenly into the bottom of the pan. Bake in a 325 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until crust is slightly firm.

While the crust is baking, combine in a medium bowl the pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice and flour, set aside for later.



Use softened cream cheese, this will really make the batter come together easier and make a smoother cake in the end. Just let it sit out of the fridge for an hour or so. Using a mixing bowl beat the cream cheese on high until smooth, scrape down the sides to make sure that all the cream cheese is included. Add sugar and vanilla extract and mix until combined. Add eggs one at a time, and let the egg combine into the mixture before adding the next.

Stir in a third of the cream cheese batter into the pumpkin mixture, stir until smooth. Spread the cream cheese mixture over crust. Place spoonfuls of pumpkin batter over cream cheese batter, then swirl in with a knife.



Bake cheesecake for 40-45 minutes just until center has firmed up. This will really differ based on your oven and the weather so I would recommend to watch it closely after about 30 minutes.

Let it cool completely in pan and then cover and chill for at least a couple hours before serving.



Ok Ben's coming over soon, I can't wait to give him his birthday cheesecake. Hope he loves it.

He did. He said, "best ever." :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you havn't eaten this you havn't lived. My favorite dessert of all time. How you like them apples?

Kristi Adams said...

This turned out beautiful and soooo delicious! Thanks for the recipe. I will make it again!!